This morning, as I pondered my #JobSearch #Friday thought leadership, it occurred to me that my 40 years of Recruiting experience represents 2 whole generations with recruiting 2 additional generations on the earlier side – pretty remarkable.
When generation experts claim that each generation has its own personality, they are generally correct. Each generation has individuals who are outliers who do not follow the generation they are in (intentionally chose not to say “belong to” or “members of”).
Your personal experience dictates your beliefs, decisions, and actions – regardless of your generation. What does this have to do with your Career Search?
I Have Control Of MY Career Search?
You do have a choice. You may Take Control of your Career Search, or you may decide to simply coast while posting and praying that you will find a job. Posting your resume online only works approximately 8% of the time (Metrics from the Career Transition Industry).
Some Career Seekers choose to TAKE CONTROL of their search. They do so by Networking their way to Success. This method of searching for your next Career has an average 74% to 76% success rate (Career Transition Industry)! Many professionals have networked to a new position without even knowing they did so.
Is your choice the comfortable 8% post online or the 74% to 76% Networking method to find a new position?
At least with networking, you make positive strides daily.
How Do I Network To A New Position?
These are the Steps:
- Make a list of Everyone you know – friends, relatives, coworkers, neighbors, acquaintances, people from college that you knew…Everyone! Do not worry about intruding on them. In our Covid-19 world, everyone likes to hear a friendly voice. 99.9% of them are happy to help if you ask – and then tell them how.
- Create your “Here I Am!” speech. You may know it as an elevator speech or one minute commercial. This is the structure for a max 2 minutes – 30 to 40 seconds discussing the important aspects of your experience, 3 seconds for The Reason I Am Looking Now, and the balance for “What I Would Like To Do Next is…” End with “Who Do You Feel I should Speak With Next?” Good job!
- Then begin calling your family and relatives asking if they would help you with your Networking speech – everyone has a thought that may help – or they may say “Sounds Good!”
- Using your list of Everyone you know, make a list of a minimum of 10 people for you to call daily. Your goal should be 4 conversations from that list daily.
- Metrics show if you have 4 networking conversations daily, you will find a new Career in 90 days!
Positive Actions Create Positive Results
Networking is the best practice to find a new career! I wrote my books to duplicate my efforts to assist you in your search. My expert experience as both a Recruiter and Career Coach gives me a perspective few professionals have. My Salary Negotiation script solves that pain point for most career seekers. To accelerate your #Jobsearch, please immediately click on this link to my recent book, Employee 5.0: Secrets Of A Successful Job Search In The New World Order – http://amzn.to/2D9w39f My book contains the 12 Steps to find a new career in a nice, orderly fashion that follows your sales process. According to a newspaper review, “It is refreshing to find an author who speaks With you and not At you!” It also has the stories of people who did well – and some who did not. You may learn from both sides.
If you feel the need for professional Career Coaching, my business has 3 different packages. I work closely with Professionals in all three packages. The primary difference is the time and personal requirements.
- The first package is the 2 meetings Introductory Package. The 2 meetings cover the basics of a Career Search.
- The second package is the 6 month Gold Package. This package provides you with Career Search guidance and Career Coaching for your first months in your new position.
- The third package is the Titanium package. Call me for details on this package because it is tailored specifically for the individual.
My Talent Attraction business model is to work with one company at a time and charge a flat monthly fee. This enables me to become part of a company’s team for short or long periods. Therefore, I know what is going on behind the curtain that candidates and authors outside of my field cannot see.
I am here to help you further each week. Feel free to click on Follow US and Share at the bottom of our blog.
See you on Fridays!
Coming Soon, my third book on Finding A New Career! Expect Success! The Science Of The Over 50 Career Search!
Bill Humbert is available for Speaking, Talent Attraction Consulting, Career Transition Consulting, and Training contracts.
https://recruiterguy.com/ RecruiterGuy@msn.com 435-714-4425
©1999-2021 B. Humbert – Provocative Thinking Consulting, Inc. –
USA 01-435-714-4425 RecruiterGuy@msn.com
Content is licensed CC-BY-ND (Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivatives 4.0) The right to reprint is hereby granted if the copyright notice and contact information remain with the article.