Do you feel that your career is out of your hands? Do you feel that your manager or your company controls your career? Does that feeling make you uncomfortable? It should.
As both an expert recruiter and an expert career coach, I run across too many people who are rather lackadaisical about their careers. They treat their careers like jellyfish floating up and down in the currents of their company.
When you are floating in the currents of your company, you are costing yourself money and potentially your job. Some professionals, who stay at their company for a long time without promotions, feel safe and secure. They are – until they are not. If they are not growing within their employer’s ranks, they are falling backward as other people take charge of their careers and move forward. Eventually, many of those lackadaisical employees are laid off.
Most importantly, this lack of action is a symptom of losing confidence in your ability to grow within your company. Picture a small crack in your concrete sidewalk. At first, you barely notice it. Then as rainwater fills the crack and erodes the dirt below, the crack grows. Finally, the concrete separates and you need to replace portions of your sidewalk. Growing your confidence back is hard work, much like the labor repairing your sidewalk.
Why Should I Take Charge Of My Career?
I understand the secure feeling and how it may lull you into a sense of security. Does your “Steady Eddie” performance benefit your company? It depends upon your Manager. If your Manager’s performance falls below the median performance of the Managers in your company, what may happen?
On the negative side –
- You will be paid less than members of higher performing teams.
- You will receive a 1% to 2% annual raise (instead of the 5% to 10% increase that you receive when you find a new position).
- The lower performance team may catch the attention of an Executive who decides, “We do not need this team.” Then the company reorganizes the team out of existence.
On the positive side if you take charge of your career –
- You determine your fate. Sure, it can be scary. I have grown my business since 1990. In business for yourself requires resilience beyond what most people understand. On the other hand, the rewards of success (the satisfaction and excitement of making positive, measurable impacts for others) sometimes exceed the nice monetary rewards.
- When I began recruiting as a contingent recruiter, I was only paid if the candidate that I introduced to the company accepted the offer – And Started with them. Some people called me a HeadHunter (once thought about that for my license plate…). The money was nice but what truly drove me was the impact I made on a company’s performance and the impact that I made on my candidate’s life! My practice to demonstrate my excitement was to give my fellow recruiters a short rendition of James Brown’s “I Feel Good!”
- The Excitement of Success is Sweet! Remember when you last felt that Excitement? If that feeling is not recent, the time has come to challenge your abilities. Sometimes, those challenges are best initially if they are small – take and pass an online course, better yet, Ace the Course! Try a small stretch goal at work. You Got This!
Impacts Of a Career Lay-off
Many of the professionals that I coach lack confidence when we begin our coaching sessions. This is a natural emotion, particularly when a professional is laid off. Please understand that losing a job generally causes a person to fall into the grieving process. The way to claw your way out of the grieving process is to act – work on updating your resume, list your career and personal accomplishments, begin to network. All of these small steps build your confidence.
The positive side of a layoff is the opportunity to pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Then challenge your professional abilities during your search for a new career. Once you begin to rebuild your self-confidence, dream about the opportunity where you may make positive, measurable impacts – and Have Fun! Then challenge yourself to succeed in finding that position. Over the years, the majority of my coaching clients found that ideal position. You can succeed here, too!
Success finding a new career that you love is worth the pain it took to get there! You Got This!
Networking is the best practice to find a new career! I wrote my books to duplicate my efforts to assist you in your search. My expert experience as both a Recruiter and Career Coach gives me a perspective few professionals have. My Salary Negotiation script solves that pain point for most career seekers. To accelerate your #Jobsearch, please immediately click on this link to my recent book, Employee 5.0: Secrets Of A Successful Job Search In The New World Order – http://amzn.to/2D9w39f My book contains the 12 Steps to find a new career in a nice, orderly fashion that follows your sales process. According to a newspaper review, “It is refreshing to find an author who speaks With you and not At you!” It also has the stories of people who did well – and some who did not. You may learn from both sides.
If you feel the need for professional Career Coaching, my business has 3 different packages. I work closely with Professionals in all three packages. The primary difference is the time and personal requirements.
The first package is the 2 meetings Introductory Package. The 2 meetings cover the basics of a Career Search.
The second package is the 6 month Gold Package. This package provides you with Career Search guidance and Career Coaching for your first months in your new position.
The third package is the Titanium package. Call me for details on this package because it is tailored specifically for the individual.
My Talent Attraction business model is to work with one company at a time and charge a flat monthly fee. This enables me to become part of a company’s team for short or long periods. Therefore, I know what is going on behind the curtain that candidates and authors outside of my field cannot see.
I am here to help you further each week. Feel free to click on Follow US and Share at the bottom of our blog.
See you on Fridays!
Coming Soon, my third book on Finding A New Career! Expect Success! The Science Of The Over 50 Career Search! If you would like to buy a copy before its release, contact me at Bill@RecruiterGuy.com. The first copies will be available in August.
Bill Humbert is available for Speaking, Talent Attraction Consulting, Career Transition Consulting, and Training contracts.
©1999-2021 B. Humbert – Provocative Thinking Consulting, Inc. –
USA 01-435-714-4425 RecruiterGuy@msn.com
Content is licensed CC-BY-ND (Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivatives 4.0) The right to reprint is hereby granted if the copyright notice and contact information remain with the article.