You completed an interview.  You felt it was a Great Interview!  You and the managers were very engaged, they were nodding yes while you responded.  They told you they will get back to you in one or two days.  You Know this is The ONE!  So you sit back and wait.  Four days pass, and you have not heard back from them. What happened?

Did You Thank The Interviewers?

As a professional recruiter with 39 years of experience, what percentage of candidates thank the interviewers after their interview?  The response you find on Bing/Google appears to be a dartboard.  Some say less than 60%.  Some will tell you only 30% will send a thank you note.  The great majority of Human Resource Managers feel a Thank you note is helpful in a Hiring Manager’s decisions.

Which format is more impressive – an email or written Thank you note?  In my experience, a written Thank you note is far more impactful than the emailed note.  Why? Very few candidates (maybe 3%) send a handwritten Thank You note.  If you were a hiring manager and have two candidates that are very close, could a handwritten Thank you be the difference in your offer decision?  Absolutely!

Ensure you get the correct spelling of the Managers’ names and address to send your note.  I suggest sending them an email thanking them for their time/letting them know your level of interest and tell them you mailed a Thank you note to them.  Emails can be lost in the bowels of spam folders.

Stop Fifteen Minutes After Your Interview

How many of you left a conversation and thought, “I wish I would’ve said?”  I admit I have.  In my 25 years of coaching professional Jobseekers, I heard that comment or some variation of it hundreds of times.  Not to mention the hundreds of times I have said it to myself over almost 40 years of recruiting.

I blame our brains.  Think about this – “They”, whoever those smartypants are who know everything, say we only use 10% of our brain…can you imagine how bored the other 90% of our brain is?

That 90% is who I blame for my fears and for giving me the wrong answers to questions it knows.  Since most of us have experienced those moments, here’s a suggestion – About fifteen minutes after an interview stop at a Library, burger joint, park, etc. and find a quiet place to write notes.

Then list all of your “Wish I would’ve saids.” There are generally between 1 to 4 per interview.  Then jot down an outline of what you should have said.  This practice will bring it top of mind next time.

Also, list all of your responses that you felt were genius!  Hey, why not?  List what you felt went well and where you needed improvement.  What could you have done differently?  Leverage those into your next interview.

Finally, list all of the reasons you should accept a reasonable offer if it is extended. Best to get these thoughts top of mind also.

Remember, the compensation spreadsheet from my Salary Negotiation blog last week.  Review that spreadsheet prior to any anticipated offer. This is the link to last week’s blog on Salary Negotiation – https://recruiterguy.com/jobsearch-friday-effective-salary-negotiation

Next Friday, we will discuss how to finish an interview with a company and position that holds your interest.  Here is a hint – “Most people love to be loved…”

If you want or need to accelerate your #Jobsearch, please immediately click on this link to my recent book, Employee 5.0: Secrets Of A Successful Job Search In The New World Orderhttp://amzn.to/2D9w39f  My book contains the 12 Steps to find a new position in a nice, orderly fashion.  It also has the stories of people who did well – and some who did not. You may learn from both sides.

See you on Fridays!

Coming Soon, my third book on Finding A JobExpect Success!  The Art Of The Over 50 Job Search!

Bill Humbert is available for Speaking, Talent Attraction Consulting, Career Transition Consulting, and Training contracts.

RecruiterGuy@msn.com  435-714-4425

https://www.espeakers.com/marketplace/speaker/profile/23767/Bill-Humbert

©1999-2020 B. Humbert – Provocative Thinking Consulting, Inc. –

USA 01-435-714-4425 RecruiterGuy@msn.com

Content is licensed CC-BY-ND (Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0) The right to reprint is hereby granted if the copyright notice and contact information remain with the article.

Leave a Comment