Every company has a Recruitment Strategy…Some just do not know it. Does your company decide just to “wing it” during the year?
I have consulted with companies where they just threw money at recruiting hoping to find the top candidates they need by posting on the expensive job boards.
A couple of years ago, I met with the Recruiting Manager of a call center company. I was introduced to her by a Vice President in the firm who was unhappy with the talent acquisition results.
When we discussed her strategy, she proudly told me that she was so happy with LinkedIn Recruiter that she blew her talent acquisition budget in May. This was October.
Their strategy was to post positions on job boards and pray the top talent was looking at the same time the company was. In other words, her strategy was to utilize passive recruiting with the hope of attracting top talent. When I tested her postings, she required top talent to complete an application prior to submitting a resume. Unless they are desperate, as soon as top talent sees an application that needs to be completed before a meaningful conversation, they end their application. I know because I am The Candidate Whisperer. I have coached professionals for over 25 years.
Strategy Development Overview
Talent Attraction is a Sales Process. It mirrors the Sales Process perfectly. If your company treats Talent Attraction as an administrative process, it is called talent acquisition. Those are completely different mindsets.
- Examine your current recruitment strategy. What is working to EVERYONE’s satisfaction? What is not? Eliminate what is not working or tailor it so it will work.
- After determining that your company needs to open a new or replacement position, the first step is to create the 3 month, 6 month, 9 month, and 12 month goals for the first year in the Job Description. Top Talent loves to see the first year goals! Those goals demonstrate the Manager knows what they expect for success.
- Develop your plan to attract talent. If you do not create a sourcing plan beyond posting on the job boards and praying the right person will see the post and apply, your company is setting itself up for disappointment.
- Formally train your Hiring Managers on how to Effectively Interview candidates. If a hiring manager has not been trained how to effectively interview candidates, they certainly have not been trained how to select the best qualified candidate for their job.
- Once they have been trained on how to interview candidates, train them to conduct a meaningful Reference Check. If your company complains it cannot find candidates who are cultural fits, you either do not conduct reference checks or you call the former employer’s HR Department and only verify employment, title, and dates of employment. Neither process helps determine a cultural fit.
- Create an Onboarding process that creates a great first impression! How does your company differentiate itself from other companies in your area and industry?
- Create a Top Talent Retention plan that includes the 3 month, 6 month, 9 month, and 12 month goals that were included in the job description. These become the foundation for performance in the first year. Remember, by definition, a goal setting and achieving employee is an ENGAGED EMPLOYEE!
Can You Give Us More Detail?
The details are dependent upon the company, current strategy, competition in the industry and area, for Top Talent.
Over the next 7 weeks, we will discuss each of the 7 steps in our #TalentAttraction #Tuesday Just Saying Thought Leadership. Keep in mind that as The Candidate Whisperer, I know what candidates are thinking and feeling when exposed to your recruitment strategy.
I am available to consult with your company to improve your Top Talent Attraction strategy. Attracting and integrating Top Talent gives your company an industry edge. The process is worth the effort.
If you have any questions, please call me at 435-714-4425 (Mountain).
The RecruiterGuy.com Top Talent Attraction business model is my differentiator. I focus on one client at a time and charge a flat monthly fee. This model enables me to attract new talent to your organization while identifying and suggesting improvements to your company’s Talent Attraction process, including Manager Interview Training. https://recruiterguy.com/
Learn how I coach my Career Transition Clients in my most recent book – Employee 5.0: Secrets Of A Successful Job Search In The New World Order http://amzn.to/2D9w39f My book includes an appendix with action verbs and sample interview questions.
I help organizations Recruit, Onboard, Actuate, and Retain Top Talent.
See you on Tuesdays! Feel free to click on Follow Us to receive my #TalentAttraction Thought Leadership every week or to Share my Just Saying Thought Leadership with your Network through Twitter and Facebook.
Bill Humbert is available for Speaking, Talent Attraction Consulting, and Training contracts.
©1999-2020 B. Humbert – Provocative Thinking Consulting, Inc. –
USA 01-435-714-4425 Bill@RecruiterGuy.com
Content is licensed CC-BY-ND (Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivatives 4.0) The right to reprint is hereby granted if the copyright notice and contact information remain with the article